Spicy Bean Burgers
16g fibre per portion
- 400g tinned black beans (drained weight 235g)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 50g closed cup mushrooms
- ½ red chilli
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 wholemeal buns
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour
Optional: salad vegetables (such as lettuce, cucumber, onion and tomato) and condiments of your choice.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic, add to a pan with 1 tbsp oil and sauté over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until soft. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, pulse the black beans in a blender until they reach a rough mushy pea texture, then transfer to a bowl.
- Repeat the process with the mushrooms and red chilli then add to the beans.
- Add the cooked onion and garlic to the bean mixture.
- Add the smoked paprika, flour and seasoning (to taste) and mix until ingredients are combined.
- Split the mixture and form into 2 patties.
- Pour the rest of the oil even on a baking tray, place the patties on top and turn to coat.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To serve, add salad vegetables to the wholemeal buns before placing a patty to each and top with condiments (if using).
+including sugars naturally occurring in fruits, vegetables and milk products